Tuesday 8 October 2013

School Magazines


On the run up to the production of our school magazines, the class discussed the things to include and the things not to include so that our magazine is at the standard it should be. We looked at a few magazines made by previous AS Level students. Some were better than others!
 
For example, the first one looked very tacky because it had too many colours on the page. This definitely gave me an idea of what not to do in my magazine.
 
However, another cover we looked at was much better. It looked professional and slick. The masthead was ‘Excel’ which not only looked good, but it linked with school too, as the schools exam board is Edexcel, which sounds very similar. The magazine cover also had a simple but noticeable colour pallet, using mostly black, white and grey. However, the use of a splash colour for key words and stories made it work, and made sure it wasn’t too dull.

 
 
We were then tested on our knowledge so far in media. The class had to fill in a set of questions. With questions such as ‘What is a skyline?’ and ‘What impact does a high angle shot have on the viewer?’ I learnt quite a lot from this because although I didn’t get them all right, they were corrected, as we marked the answers as a class. I am now quite familiar with these key definitions.


The questions I got wrong were:

1. The 'pinning down' of meaning of an image by text is...
                                     (I now know that the answer to this is Anchorage text)

2. How many images (minimum) do you have to include in your main task?...
                                     (I now know that I need 4 images in my main task)

No comments:

Post a Comment